If my spouse becomes disabled, will I automatically be able to make financial and medical decisions for him or her?

No, not unless your spouse has named you to be his/her attorney-in-fact under a Durable Power of Attorney and his/her health care agent under a Medical Directive.

Absent these two documents being in place (and presented to a medical provider), you will need to go to the Probate Court and be appointed as your spouse’s guardian and conservator.